UNSOLVED - Unlocking the Advanced Race-Specific Weapons/Armor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UNSOLVED - Unlocking the Advanced Race-Specific Weapons/Armor

Post by Djehuti on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:04 am

This mystery, dubbed "The Greatest Quest on Illyriad!", will unlock the ability to craft a race-specific weapon for each of the 4 character races in Illyriad - in the case of the Orc, completion will allow the crafting of:

Orc Marauder's Sword (+80% Attack, -40% Cav Def, -24% Spear Def, -28% Bow Def, -8% Sword Def, -10% Move Speed, -24% for Dwarves, -32% for Elves, -24% for Humans, +60% for Orcs)

To begin the quest line, you must research your entire Crafting Research Tree. Once all researches have been completed, send 20 T2 Spies to the Fortune Teller.

There seems to be a variable of luck involved, or some unknown requirement involving exactly what time of day/night or the position of the moon - you may have to send a couple times to the Fortune Teller before she finally gives you the response you are looking for, which is:

...............................................................................................................
System wrote:The fortune teller's eyes go wide.

"I see you...

And I see your exceedingly skilled crafters.

Wait a moment."

She pauses in meditation, for what seems like hours, before suddenly jerking her head up and looking directly into your spies' eyes.

"You seek to learn the mystery of (RACE SPECIFIC WEAPON)

The next time I am with your kith, I will ask.

It will, however, cost you. Be prepared. I will be in touch."

Your diplomatic mission is heading home, alternately pondering and dismissing these words of wisdom.

...............................................................................................................

After that, you must wait - usually within two weeks, you will automatically receive the next part of this quest, which is:

System wrote:Your gatekeepers report that a wizened old woman arrived earlier in the day at (CITY NAME)

She did not enter the city but instead pressed a note into the hands of the gate officer, saying "Give this to your master. He is expecting it."

She left immediately without further word; shuffling off down the road with surprising speed.

The note reads:

"I have spoken with those whom I mentioned; those who guard the secret ways of Duraz Karag.

They may be willing to share their secret, if you prove yourself worthy.

If you still seek this knowledge then there are three tasks you must complete to prove your worth.

Firstly, you must prove your ability to collect unusual materials.

Procure the following items in the following quantities:
x5 tentacles
x5 "
x5 "
x5 "

When you have at least these quantities of these items in your town's inventory, send a messenger Messengers from (CITY NAME) to the great hall of Duraz Karag at [-203|-122] in Tor Carrock.

Do not fail in this, for your reputation is at risk."

There is no signature on the note.

Then, once you have acquired these 20 items (either from trade or the Heart of Corruption event), follow the instructions in the last message and send a messenger to Duraz Karag at [-203|-122] in Tor Carrock. From that you will receive the following message:

System wrote:
Your diplomat walks quietly around the empty halls, his footsteps echoing in the silence underneath the arches of the ruined cathedral ceiling.

Spotting a gentle glow emanating behind a ruined pillar, he carefully and quietly peers behind the rubble.

His initial trepidation is replaced by a sense of wonderment as he sees the vague, shimmering outline of a great Dwarven warrior, resplendent in ancient armour. Despite the ghostly shape's clearly unnatural nature, he feels nothing but calm.

The translucent figure speaks with a deep, slow voice; although it appears his lips do not move.

" You have done well thus far, and may yet prove yourself worthy.

You must keep these terrible boils of corrupted flesh safe in your town.

I warn you. Do not send them out, do not transfer them away. Keep them safe whilst you prepare yourself.

When the dread corruption rises again, (CITY NAME) will be in dire peril. Secure this town as best you can; you may wish to seek assistance from your compatriots, as the onslaught will be swift and ruinous when the time comes.

Survive this test, and you will have but a single trial ahead of you before the secret will be yours. "

The mysterious figure fades into the background, and after searching the ruins thoroughly, your diplomat returns home.

I have to do more research as to what triggers these next strings of messages - if you know, feel free to reply to this post. In any case, these are portions of the continuing quest:

System wrote:An old crone arrives at the doors of (CITY NAME).

Into the Gatekeepers' hand she presses a small piece of parchment that reads:

"The Horror has stirred; and the fools continue to feed it - making your task ahead more arduous. You've spoken with the Ancient Dwarven warriors, and you've made your choice to stand in opposition.

Once it is sated, the next phase will begin.

You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. If you're not well prepared to defend your city against the corruption, this could prove disastrous.

I wish you luck, (PLAYER NAME). Stand firm. And if you cannot stand firm, then die well."

As swiftly as she arrived, she is gone.

System wrote:Your quartermaster knocks quietly at the door of your study.

He looks perturbed, and you beckon him to speak.

"My liege... I don't know how to put this.

I know you entrusted us to protect those foul and corrupted tentacles deep within the city stores - a task we have not taken lightly.

However, my liege, they're... they're gone. Vanished."

He takes you to the stores to show you, and gestures to the once sturdy but now partially broken glass jars that held each tentacle in preserving fluid.

"See? They've been taken. We've searched the entire area, but it's been more difficult than expected to see anything at this late hour - the thief must've planned this for the New Moon tonight!"

The quartermaster continues to talk as you survey the area - but a sudden chill runs down your spine as you realise that the way the shattered fragments of glass have fallen would suggest that they were shattered from the inside of the jar.

"Anyway", says the quartermaster, "We'll continue our search through the night and at first light tomorrow, though, don't you worry - the entire guard is out looking for this foolish thief!"

You return to your study, deep in thought.

System wrote:Knocking softly on your door, the Captain of The Guard asks for a moment of your time.

"My liege, we've been receiving... what I can only describe as disturbing reports from the land around this fair city.

Villagers working outside the city have started... disappearing. We cannot find any trace of them anywhere.

When it was just a couple of villagers, the people believed that it was likely to be the work of wild animals - or perhaps a small pack of trolls travelling up from the South.

However, when reports came to my ears of a small village that had simply vanished in the night, I rode out to investigate.

It is as they say. There's simply no one there anymore; cooking pots and pans were still warm from the night's fire. Just... a dead village remained. No animals, no birds, no people. Nothing.

Nothing remains to indicate what has happened to the good people of the land, and the neighboring townspeople are frightened.

We're at a loss as to what to do, frankly. Perhaps whatever is responsible will show itself in the light of day?"

He thanks you for your time, promises to report anything suspicious, and leaves you to your thoughts.

System wrote:The Captain of The Guard bangs urgently on your door.

"My liege, the horror has shown itself, and is outside the city walls!

We do not know what to do; it appears immune to our attacks!

We shall try and contain the monstrosity, so it does not spread it's filth any further afield; any military help you can give us to contain it in place would surely not be in vain!!"

He takes his leave, and dashes out of the castle.
Djehuti
Admin

View user profile http://illyorcs.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

from Freyja's profile

Post by Djehuti on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:14 am

To start this quest

Complete all research in a single city

Send advanced spies to the Fortune Teller until the fortune received is that you wish to learn the secret of one of the above mentioned crafted items.

Most players report that it takes at least two visits to the Fortune Teller to get this fortune.

Fortune Teller locatoins spreadsheet (updated about 1 am daily)

Illy wiki page with known Fortune Teller messages for all types of diplos

2 NPC visits will occur at the city from the Old Crone

the 1st will say to await further instructions

the 2nd will say to obtain 5 of each race's corrupted tentacles, and then send a messenger to Duraz Karag

After sending the messenger to Duraz Karag, the message says that the city must endure an attack in order to progress to the final task.

In 2014, players who had cities doing the quest, who sent messengers to Duraz Karag while the Heart of Corruption was beating, received messages from the Captain of the Guard that were problems in the area

Villagers disappeared in the night.

The corrupted tentacles broke free from the jars they were being kept in and escaped from the towns.

Corrupted squares (similar to the ones surrounding the Heart of Corruption) began growing around the cities.

Noxious spores (at the time, called "mist") appeared on the city squares.

No more is known about how to finish the quest or how to progress to the final task.

Players who send messengers to Duraz Karag when the Heart of Corruption is not beating will not progress forward in the quest. The HoC must be beating.

Timeline of events

August 8, 2014

1st message received from the Fortune Teller starting the quest (per this forum thread)

19 Sep 2014 at 9:23

Heart of Corrupton begins beating

22 Sep 2014 at 18:46

The old Crone Returns Message

(Note the later message from the dev's referring back to this message)

An old crone arrives at the doors of [City Name].

Into the Gatekeepers' hand she presses a small piece of parchment that reads:
"The Horror has stirred; and the fools continue to feed it - making your task ahead more arduous. You've spoken with the Ancient Dwarven warriors, and you've made your choice to stand in opposition.
Once it is sated, the next phase will begin.
You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. If you're not well prepared to defend your city against the corruption, this could prove disastrous.
I wish you luck, Epidemic [Siege]. Stand firm. And if you cannot stand firm, then die well."

As swiftly as she arrived, she is gone.

24 Sep 2014

New Moon

30 Sep 2014

Mist appeared

(Probably this date. And Probably at night.. no one noticed until about 21:00)

At  this time all towns involved in the quest were shrouded in what appeared  to be mist which has stayed on the towns ever since (as of this writing  in June 2015). We don't know if it is literally mist--it just looks  'misty'. Spores have also been suggested. No message accompanied this  event.

** NOTE **

The "mist" is not actually mist, but it was discovered to be Noxious Spores. This was discovered when towns were moved that had tentacles escape and had the so-called mist. These squares are now unsettleable (per ubluntu).

01 Oct 2014 at 9:23

The HoC stops beating

(12 days after awakening)

Oct 1, 2014

First Quarter

08 Oct 2014

Full Moon

10 Oct 2014

Message From the GMs

The  old crone's "scant hours" quote was written back when the HoC was on a  3-day heartbeat cycle, and we hadn't adjusted the text for the increased  cycle.  I'll make sure the text gets adjusted (and the day it's sent  also) for the next time around.

22 Oct 2014

New Moon

22 Oct 2014 22:28

Quartermaster Message:

*** (tentacles in warehouse are gone after this message) ***

An ashen-faced quartermaster reports in at [Your city]

Sent By: System

Your quartermaster knocks quietly at the door of your study.

He looks perturbed, and you beckon him to speak.

"My liege... I don't know how to put this.

I  know you entrusted us to protect those foul and corrupted tentacles  deep within the city stores - a task we have not taken lightly.

However, my liege, they're... they're gone. Vanished."

He  takes you to the stores to show you, and gestures to the once sturdy  but now partially broken glass jars that held each tentacle in  preserving fluid.

"See? They've been taken. We've searched the  entire area, but it's been more difficult than expected to see anything  at this late hour - the thief must've planned this for the New Moon  tonight!"

The quartermaster continues to talk as you survey the  area - but a sudden chill runs down your spine as you realise that the  way the shattered fragments of glass have fallen would suggest that they  were shattered from the inside of the jar.

"Anyway", says the  quartermaster, "We'll continue our search through the night and at first  light tomorrow, though, don't you worry - the entire guard is out  looking for this foolish thief!"

You return to your study, deep in thought.

06 Nov 2014  Full Moon

06 Nov 2014 01:17

Captain of The Guard Message 1

The Captain of The Guard at [Your City] reports in

Knocking softly on your door, the Captain of The Guard asks for a moment of your time.

"My liege, we've been receiving... what I can only describe as disturbing reports from the land around this fair city.

Villagers working outside the city have started... disappearing. We cannot find any trace of them anywhere.

When  it was just a couple of villagers, the people believed that it was  likely to be the work of wild animals - or perhaps a small pack of  trolls travelling up from the South.

However, when reports came to my ears of a small village that had simply vanished in the night, I rode out to investigate.

It  is as they say. There's simply no one there anymore; cooking pots and  pans were still warm from the night's fire. Just... a dead village  remained. No animals, no birds, no people. Nothing.

Nothing remains to indicate what has happened to the good people of the land, and the neighbouring townspeople are frightened.

We're at a loss as to what to do, frankly. Perhaps whatever is responsible will show itself in the light of day?"

He thanks you for your time, promises to report anything suspicious, and leaves you to your thoughts.

06 Nov 2014 23:23

Captain of The Guard Message 2

The Captain of The Guard at Ivory Hall bring urgent news

The Captain of The Guard bangs urgently on your door.

"My liege, the horror has shown itself, and is outside the city walls!

We do not know what to do; it appears immune to our attacks!

We  shall try and contain the monstrosity, so it does not spread it's filth  any further afield; any military help you can give us to contain it in  place would surely not be in vain!!"

He takes his leave, and dashes out of the castle.

A note about corrupted squares (or tentacles) on a city's surrounding squares from Alcie

With  the last message, a tentacle appeared growing adjacent to the city  square.

For several full moons afterwards, the tentacles tried to expand to  adjacent squares, spreading out in whichever direction they could until  all 8 city-adjacent squares were full.

They avoided lakes, volcanos, etc.  and did not grow where an army was camped.

After several months, they  stopped growing. These tentacles did not try to eat units, and  scouts reported nothing.

The HoC began beating 25 March 2015 – 12 Apr 2015 ( 18 days).

Shortly before and  leading up to the HoC heartbeat cycle beginning, quest towns with tentacles started to  have a single tentacle eat units (more such towns had this happen as time approached the heart beating).

By  the time the heart started beating, all such towns had a single tentacle eating  units. When the HoC stopped beating, all of the town-tentacles stopped eating  units.

In addition, tentacles started spreading again right after the HoC stopped beating, even though it was not a full moon.

After this, tentacles started  growing during full moons once again.

As of June 2015, all original  quest towns still have tentacles, even the towns which were captured.

The 1st message from the Fortune Teller is random, and it depends on when the player's spies reach her location, on a random day.

There are 2 subsequent messages from an Old Crone following the Fortune Teller quest message,

1. The Old Crone visits and says that she will be in touch.

2. She visits again, and says to send the messenger to DK after obtaining all 20 Corrupted Tentacles.

Followed by a random visit to Duraz Karag and a long message

3. Messengers meet and talk to an Ancient Dwarven Warrior at DK who warns of an impending attack that must be endured to continue with the quest, and that 1 more final task must be completed to earn the reward of the quest.

** Timing of the quest messages must coincide with specific parts of the heartbeat cycle and/or a moon phase. **

Messengers must be sent to Duraz Karag while the Heart of Corruption is beating.

Corrupted tentacles escape from towns on the first New Moon after the Heart of Corruption stops beating.

When the Heart of Corruption becomes the Beating Heart of Corruption

When the HoC has been satiated after being "fed" military units, it will become the Beating Heart of Corruption.
   While the HoC is beating, the 3 Ancient Temples closest to it will also change names to the following (circled in the image)
       Temple of the Nameless
       Temple of the Shapeless
       Temple of the Outsider
   While the HoC is beating, sending units to any of the 3 temples will result in the units becoming corrupted Melder units of the same race as the sending player AND these units will return to the sending city to attack it.
   Corrupted units drop corrupted tentacles of the same race, and the item will appear in the player's city inventory.
   These are the corrupted tentacles that must be collected in one step of the quest, and player's must acquire ones of the other races from other players.
   20 corrupted tentacles are needed for the quest - 5 of each race
   The most economical unit to send to the temples while the HoC is beating is the basic scout (of any race).
   This is also the time when players doing the quest steps should send a messenger to Duraz Karag as instructed by the old crone.

3 Ancient Temples located at

-990 | -817

-989  |-817

-985 | -826

What does it take to feed the HoC?

It has been estimated that it takes apporximately 250,000 attack to corrupt 1 square, but this has not been proven.
   Diplomatic units do not seem to cause squares near the HoC to become corrupted.
   Escaped Elemental units that were tournament prizes years ago are immune and are the only known unit that will return from the HoC or a corrupted square.
   All other units/items/anything will NOT return from the HoC, including commanders. They are gone for good and cannot be resurrected.

View user profile http://illyorcs.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top